Monday, March 16, 2009

Will This Guy Kill Me?

Working with your Crew

As a new Mission Pilot, one of the things I never quite understood was the trepidation that some crew members can feel when flying with a pilot for the first time. I’ve pretty much always been the PIC and have always been careful about who I fly right seat with. I don't fly with everybody who invites me along. In other words, I’ve always had a fair amount of control who I strapped into an airplane with – something I learned from my Dad. So, in my own world, focused on getting my head around preparing the mission, I was typically just getting things ready and not thinking too much about these new folks flying with me for the first time. Never thought about how they were feeling or their sense flying with a stranger. Heck, they volunteered for the mission and they’re in CAP right? Didn't they get in to fly? Well, yeah but...

Major Pete Loewenheim, the Stan/Eval officer for Maryland Wing explained to me that nearly the first hour of the flight with a new crew can be very unproductive while the crew members spend time (instead of searching) watching the pilot to see if they can trust him or her with their lives. They’re silently asking questions about the pilot’s competence. It goes something like this: “Will this guy kill me?”

The net effect of this (as well as any general discomfort while flying) is that the training/search flight might need to go back and cover the first part of the area searched a second time to make sure the area was carefully looked over. The crew effectiveness after all directly relates to crew comfort and focus. When it’s low, the area’s not getting looked at like it should be. Mediocre search means substandard results.

So, with this in mind, I’ve learned to give a bit of a narrative during the flight (especially the early stages) to specifically point out my actions in an effort to set them at ease more quickly. I also spend more time briefing the flight on the ground (what to expect including weather effects and other airplanes we might see in adjacent areas etc.) as well as reviewing the safety briefing items prior to takeoff with an emphasis on comfort and communication (emphasis on CRM). I make sure the crew knows I want their input and that any comments and criticisms are gladly accepted.

I’m still learning so I’m sure there will be more to say about this at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment